Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West and Chester Council

Statutory Advocacy questionnaire

What is the Statutory Advocacy Service?
The Statutory Advocacy Service has been commissioned by Cheshire West and Chester Council and Cheshire East Council to provide support to an individual who requires statutory advocacy to be supported to understand, express their views and wishes, communicate their choice and to participate in decision making which affects them.  This service is provided by Age UK Cheshire supported by Disability Positive. 

Your views are important: 
Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West and Chester Council need your help, and we would like to hear your thoughts, ideas, and experiences of how to help improve the independent statutory advocacy service.  

The current independent advocacy service will be recommissioned and as part of this process it is important that we hear your views, whether you have used the independent statutory advocacy service or not. 

We would like your feedback so that you can help to shape the new service going forward from 1 September 2022 and ensure that it is delivered in the best possible way, so that it meets the needs of people in Cheshire East, and Cheshire West and Chester who require statutory advocacy.
Submitting your comments

It would be helpful if you could complete the following questionnaire, so your views can help us find a provider for the independent statutory advocacy service covering Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West and Chester Council.  In addition to your views, the views of professionals and providers will be obtained.  

Once the engagement closes we will analyse all responses, then produce a summary report of the responses for people using the services and professionals.  This will help to inform the recommissioning of the statutory advocacy service.

Please submit your comments by 5pm on 26 November 2021.
If you have any queries about the survey, or if you would like to receive this questionnaire in an alternative format or submit your response in a different way, please contact us at commissioning@cheshireeast.gov.uk or by telephone on - Sharon Brissett 01270 685967 (Cheshire East) or Catherine Cooil 07785 575196 (Cheshire West & Chester Council). 
On behalf of Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West and Chester Council, thank you. 
Your confidentiality is assured

We will not ask for your name and any personal details you give will be kept private and not made public.  If you want to find out more on how Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West and Chester Council use your information, please see the privacy policy:
What is an advocate:
  • A person who helps you to speak up for yourself and get your voice heard
  • An advocate works with you to help you to share your views and wishes
  • An advocate helps you to find information and understand your rights
  • An advocate works with you so that you can tell people in your life such as family, social workers, carers or support workers what is important to you and what you want
  • An advocate can help you with understanding your care and support plan, and if your accommodation needs to change due to your care and support needs
An advocate will not:
  • Tell you what to do
  • Give you advice
  • Take anyone else’s side
Types of Advocacy Support
Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) – Access to an IMHA is a statutory right for individuals detained under most sections of the Mental Health Act.  An IMHA helps an individual to understand their rights under the Act and to participate in decisions about their care for example if an individual is being kept in hospital under the Mental Health Act, or receiving supervised treatment (treatment in the community for an individual’s mental health problem instead of a stay in hospital).

Paid Relevant Person Representative (RPR) – the Mental Capacity Act requires the Council (decision maker) to appoint a paid officer to represent the person who is being deprived of their liberty, in circumstances where there is not available person to undertake this role.

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA) – The Mental Capacity Act 2005 makes it a legal requirement for individuals who lack the capacity to make certain decisions for themselves and do not have a suitable person who is able to speak for them.  An IMCA does not make any decisions and are independent of the people who do make decisions.

Continuing Healthcare – an advocate will independently represent the individual and their families wishes, preferences and views around Continuing Healthcare.

Care Act Advocacy – Under the Care Act, an Advocate must be appointed to support individuals who have substantial difficulty in being involved in the statutory assessment process and there is no appropriate individual to support them.