Cheshire East Council is seeking the views of people in Cheshire East to help inform how we will deliver advocacy services in the future.
Advocacy is taking action to help people say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and obtain services they need. Advocates and advocacy providers work in partnership with the people they support and take their side. Advocacy promotes social inclusion, equality and social justice.
Advocacy can involve:
- Helping someone to understand information
- Someone speaking up for, or acting on behalf of, themselves or another person
- Taking action to help people say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and help them get the support they need
- Making sure people feel part of the community and can contribute to it
Cheshire East Council is looking to review how advocacy services are provided which relate to the following legislation:
- Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) – Any age. Access to an IMHA is a statutory right for individuals detained under most sections of the Mental Health Act. An IMHA helps an individual to understand their rights under the Act and to participate in decisions about their care.
- Independent Mental Capacity (IMCA) and Paid Representatives – 16 years+. IMCA’s are a legal safeguard for individuals who lack the capacity to make certain decisions for themselves and do not have a suitable person able to speak for them. An IMCA does not make any decisions and is independent of the people who do make decisions.
- Independent Advocacy (Care Act) – 18 years+. Under the Care Act, an Advocate must be appointed to support individuals who have substantial difficulty in being involved in the assessment process where there is no appropriate individual to support them.
These services are currently provided through a single point of contact which is Cheshire based. Individuals receive one to one support from an advocate.
In addition to this survey, we are also working with providers and professionals to obtain their views and feedback too, to help inform how the service is provided in the future.
The deadline for this survey is 2nd January 2019
If you have any queries regarding the survey or would like help completing it, please ring 01270 686487 or email email@example.com.
Your confidentiality is assured
Any personal information you supply will remain strictly confidential. The information you provide will only be used by Cheshire East Council to analyse results of this survey. We will not pass on your personal information to any third parties.