Purpose of this consultation
Cheshire East Council is proposing changes to its Council Tax Support scheme. This could affect how those living in working age households claim their Council Tax Support.
The council is proposing to:
- Simplify some of the criteria used when calculating the amount of Council Tax Support a person receives - see proposals 1 to 3
- Introduce income bands to help calculate how much Council Tax Support a person receives, rather than basing calculations on the income level of individuals - see proposal 4.
- Make other changes to the scheme to further simplify it - see proposals 5 to 7.
The reason for making these proposals is to reduce confusion for applicants, ensure applicants claim all the support they are entitled to, reduce the number of changes in the awards when there are small changes in income, and reduce the amount of administration for the council when processing claims. Working age households may be affected by the proposals.
See here for more information on why the council is proposing these changes and who might be affected (PDF, 68KB).
Completing the consultation
This questionnaire now sets out the council's proposals in more detail, and gives you the opportunity to give your opinion on them. Once the consultation closes we will analyse all responses, produce a summary report of them, and publish this online on our consultation webpages.
Please submit your consultation response by 5pm on 16 September 2019
by completing this questionnaire. Alternatively you can email your comments to email@example.com
For any queries about this consultation, e.g. if you would like to receive this questionnaire in an alternative format, or submit your response in a different way, please call 0300 123 5013.
The council will be holding the following drop-in sessions for anyone with queries about this consultation:
- 12 August 2019 between 12noon and 3pm at Delamere House, Crewe, CW1 2JZ.
- 13 August 2019 between 12noon and 3pm at Macclesfield Town Hall, Macclesfield, SK10 1EA.
Please inform our customer service centre reception on arrival - there is no need to book an appointment.
Your confidentiality is assured